It’s here: .gay now open for registration
The Sunrise registration phase for .gay domain names began February 10, 2020 and goes until March 31, 2020.
Domain launch schedule
Here’s the launch schedule covering the different release phases that Top Level Design, the registry for .gay, has set:
- Sunrise 1:
February 10 –March 31, 2020: Only reservations by Trademark Clearinghouse (TMCH) claim holders
- Sunrise 2:
April 6–May 6, 2020 End of August: Only reservations by trademark holders not registered with TMCH. Initially lasting only until May 6, this phase has been extended to September 4.
- Early Access Period/Landrush (EAP):
September 8–15, 2020: See our documentation for more information about this phase
- GoLive/beginning of General Availability (GA):
September 16, 2020: The .gay domain is open for all to register at it’s standard price
During the first Sunrise phase, .gay will be open only to holders of TMCH trademark claims at a price of $2052.93* (first year).
June 28, 1970, the LGBTQ community marched for the first time on the streets of New York to commemorate the first anniversary of the Stonewall riots, and to denounce the prejudice, persecution, and hate that they’d faced. “Gay is good!” read the banners they marched with, and this event is now known as the first Gay Pride. Fifty years later, with the launch of .gay, a new space for expression for the LGBTQ community is open. The internet has long been a place where anyone and everyone can find community, make connections, and express themselves. But with this new domain, the LGBTQ community has a whole new digital space created especially for them.
Why register a .gay domain name
- The .gay domain is intended to individuals, organizations, and corporations supporting the LGBTQ community. It offers greater visibility, clear access to pertinent services and information, and opportunities to assure the security of the LGBTQ community online
- Registration of a .gay domain name is a way to express your support for the LGBTQ community. For each new domain name registered, the registry will give 20% of the profits to GLAAD (the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) and the non-profit CenterLink to help address the specific problems faced by the LGBTQ community. Other organizations may be added to the program in the future.
- The .gay domain is subject to a broad policy to protect individual rights and to report any content that could be prejudicial against the LGBTQ community, and to remove offending content or the offending site in its entirety.
Submit your registration your .gay domain name in any of the above release phases today:
*Prices in USD. See .gay info page for more currency optionsTagged in .gayDomain names